Today’s Good Word suggests an interesting question — how do we “buy” truth? Take a second to think about how you might respond.
The word “buy” means to “obtain in exchange for payment.” If the objective is to acquire truth, then what must we give (or pay) for it? Here are some ideas:
- Give our hearts and souls to God
- Relinquish our own notions of truth
- Acknowledge God as the ultimate authority (rather than ourselves)
- Submit to tests and trials that reveal the truth to us
Proverbs 23:23 suggests another equally interesting question — how can we “sell” truth?
The definition of “sell” is to “exchange for money,” but are there ways we can “exchange” the truth for other types of gain? Here are some possibilities:
- Exchange unwelcome truth for popular opinion
- Change hard truth to a softer half-truth
- Set aside inconvenient truth for something easier
- Swap complex truth with simple sound bites
Now it’s your turn. How would you answer these questions?
This article has undergone ministry review and approval.