If you want a simple yet profound mantra to live your life by, this is it.
Today, we want big ideas to fit into bite-size phrases that we can easily understand, and that’s way too much to ask in most cases. But, John the Baptist’s words, here, are an exception to the rule.
God must increase:
- God must receive more glory and praise.
- God must have more control over our lives.
- God must remain front and center at all times.
I must decrease:
- I must recognize my sinful, unworthy state without Christ.
- I must relinquish my will and earthly desires.
- I must joyfully put the spotlight on my savior and let my good works play a background role.
This remarkable verse is discipleship in a nutshell. Plus, it’s easy to remember, so if you’re looking for a memory verse, this is a good one!
This article has undergone ministry review and approval.