Stuck in a Rut
How many of us have been stuck in a rut in some way or another?
Maybe after a few years at the same job, doing the same thing, we feel like we are no longer being challenged and need a change. Maybe, even though we are exercising, we aren't seeing any results. Maybe we are so caught up with life that our marriage feels like we are just co-existing.
Regardless of what the rut is, once we realize it, we try to get out of it. We look for a new job or position, try a new exercise program, or start setting up more date nights with our spouse.
But what about spiritually?
Have you ever realized that you are in a spiritual rut? Maybe you're reciting the same prayer every night. Maybe you go to church and, even though you're listening and participating, you aren't getting much out of it. If that's the case, then don't you want to get out of this rut even faster than the other ruts in different aspects of your life?
I've found myself in this situation before, and I've tried some of the following to get out of it. It's amazing that when I put God and others above me, that rut quickly disappears.
- Fast and pray part of (or all) Saturday and/or Sunday to get something from the service.
- Really look at time spent reading the Gospel. Maybe it should be increased.
- Think of someone who is worse off, in whatever way, and really pray for them.
- Spend time with a brother or sister.
- Organize an activity to help others.
- Volunteer to come up with a lesson for Wednesday night, a seminar, Sunday School, or Ladies' Circle.
- Write a blog post.
There are so many more things than what I have listed. Please share some things that have worked for you in the past!
This article has undergone ministry review and approval.