Lovey Dovey Scripture Quiz
Valentine's Day is this weekend — all you husbands out there have received fair warning — and when you subtract the fancy flowers, charming chocolates, and cute cards from the equation, what are you left with?
Love. When we look at Valentine's Day in the best possible light, it's a day to celebrate love in all its forms, not just romantic.
It's amazing to think about how God doesn't just show love or feel love or bestow love on us. He IS love (1 John 4:8). He's the embodiment of it. The source of it — without Him, there wouldn't be any. And Jesus' life was the ultimate manifestation of that perfect love.
Here's a fun Valentine's Day quiz that tests your knowledge of how the word "love" pops up in scripture. So break open that box of chocolates, and sit down with someone you care about, and see if you can noodle this one out together.
Send us your answers, and we'll post them along with the participants' names next Friday — just for fun.
1. Many times in scripture, the word "love" is used interchangeably with what other word?
2. 1 John 2 says that the love of God is perfected in those who
a. Keep God's word
b. Love their enemies
c. Fast and pray often
d. Speak no falsehood
3. Complete this sentence: "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called ________."
a. The people of light
b. The sons of God
c. The faithful few
d. The few and the proud
4. What did the Anti-Nephi-Lehis do out of love for their brethren?
a. They buried their weapons of war and refused to shed blood anymore.
b. They made a huge feast and invited their brethren to eat with them.
c. They built barges for their brethren to travel to the land of America.
d. They gave their brethren all their gold, silver, and fine apparel.
5. Paul says that even if you speak with the tongues of angels, if you don't have love, you're like what?
a. The scribes and Pharisees
b. An unprofitable servant
c. A tinkling cymbal
d. An unfruitful tree
6. In the famous chapter on love, 1 Corinthians 13, Paul says "love is..." a lot of things. Which of these does he NOT mention?
7. When Moroni saw the day when the Book of Mormon would come forth, he saw that many people loved WHAT more than they loved the poor, needy, sick, and afflicted?
a. Money, substance, fine apparel, and adorning of churches
b. War, murder, fighting, and killing the innocent
c. Wisdom, knowledge, lofty learning, and their own conceits
d. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram
8. John says that perfect love does what?
a. Casts out fear
b. Casts out doubt
c. Casts out pride
d. Casts out fools
9. Complete this sentence: "...he who loveth God love his _________________ also."
10. What does Paul say about the love of money?
a. It's the first step toward pride.
b. It's a sign that the end is near.
c. It's the root of all evil.
d. It's the deadliest sin.
11. Jacob had to work for Laban seven additional years in order to marry Rachel, but it seemed like ___________________ because of the love he had for her?
a. An eternity
b. Half the time
c. A few days
d. Mere seconds
12. The people loved and esteemed Mosiah more than anyone else. Which of these is NOT one of the reasons why he earned their affection?
a. He didn't tax them
b. He freed them from bondage
c. He built a temple for worshipping God
d. He established peace in the land
13. Scripture says that Jonathan loved David as _______________.
a. His own brother
b. His own soul
c. His own father
d. His own child
14. In Deuteronomy 7, it says that God keeps covenant with and has mercy on those who love Him to how many generations?
a. Third and fourth
d. One thousand
Remember, send us your answers so that we can all see who joined in on the fun. It's neat to know who around the country is doing this quiz with you.
This article has undergone ministry review and approval.