He Is Enough

Written by Sister Enza Pusillo on Tuesday, November 03, 2015. Posted in Devotional

He Is Enough

One of the things I enjoyed most during the 2015 GospelBlog Summer Reading Challenge of the four gospels was rehearsing and going over all the stories and parables found there. I remember learning many of them as a child in Sunday school and VBS, and they are precious.

But there is something about reading them as an adult, taking in the nuances and the depth of meaning that we cannot understand as children.

I found this to be the case going over the accounts when the Lord fed multitudes of his followers (Luke 9:12-17, John 6:1-14, Matthew 14:13-21, Mark 8:1-8:9).

Can you imagine being one of His disciples being told, “Give ye them to eat,” and you have 5,000 men looking at you — not counting any women and children who may have been there too. I began to think about what it must have been like being asked to do such a daunting task, knowing you don’t have enough.

You then have to tell Jesus, “We have no more but five loaves and two fishes; except we should go and buy meat for all this people.” And then Jesus says, “Make them sit.” And so they sit, and you give the Lord what you have, and you watch, in wonder, as He takes it and it becomes more than “enough” because when all have eaten there are 12 baskets of food fragments left over.

Isn’t it that way in life today? Jesus asks me to do something, and I think, “I can’t do that. I am not enough. I am not equipped. I am not that person. I don’t have enough…“ You can fill in the blanks. Yet Jesus asks.

And I'm right — of myself, I'm not enough and insufficient to do anything of value for His work of furthering His gospel or His kingdom. But the Master does not ask me to do anything on my own. He just asks me to follow Him, trust Him, and be obedient to Him.

It made me think of a sermon that Brother Reno Bologna preached many years ago during a conference. It was a sermon on “percents.” Basically, Brother Reno told us we should not worry about being 100 percent because we can never be. Yet we should always bring everything we have to the Lord. If we have 20 percent, He gives us the remaining 80 percent. If we can go 50 percent, He takes us the remaining 50 percent. And if we have 90 percent, He gives us the balance 10 percent. He encouraged us to bring it all, no matter how much we felt we lacked. Jesus always makes up the difference.

Just like in the stories where He fed the multitudes, the Lord already knows what I have and don’t have. When He asks, He tells me to bring everything I have: brokenness, weaknesses, strengths, gifts, talents, my heart and soul, and He will always make it enough.

Do I believe Him “enough” to listen, to bring Him whatever I have and do what He asks with it? I can be sure He will take it and use it for His honor and glory because Jesus working in me is always “enough.”

This article has undergone ministry review and approval.

0.0/5 rating (0 votes)

Comments (2)

  • Teri-Lyn Tunno

    Teri-Lyn Tunno

    03 November 2015 at 20:29 |
    Awesome blog!! Just what I needed to read. Thank you!!

    reply

  • Anonymous

    Anonymous

    03 November 2015 at 23:41 |
    Beautiful words, Enza.

    reply

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.