A New Way of Journaling
I have a slight addiction to notebooks and journals. And by slight, I mean a big addiction.
I love opening a new journal, cracking the spine, sitting to write or jot a few notes down. Here's a snapshot of my collection:
I have a notebook just for my to-do lists.
I have a notebook just for taking notes on Sunday's sermons.
I have a notebook just for writing my favorite quotes from books I've read.
I have a notebook just for taking notes on my scripture studies.
I have notebooks just to sit on my desk and look pretty.
Told you I had an addiction.
And, with the beginning of a new year, I decided to start a new notebook just for me to see. This one is dedicated to my relationship with the Lord. I find that when I write things down, I commit to doing them and I better remember whatever it is that I wrote down.
Perhaps you aren't usually one to write things down — but for 2015, I challenge you to. Find a notebook, big or small. Maybe it has an inspirational quote on the front. Maybe it's your favorite sports team. It doesn't matter — just find one.
Open it up to the first "spread" of the book (skip the first page).
On the left-hand side, write four things:
- Week of : (put the dates of that week here)
- What I'm memorizing : (a verse to ponder this week)
- Who I'm praying for : (list a few who you won't forget)
- My "small means" for the week : Remember the verse, 1 Nephi 16:29, which says, "And thus by small means the Lord can bring about great things" ? Here's where you list what things you will do for that week. Maybe it's sending a card to someone who's been on your mind. Maybe you pick up the phone to call a sister who hasn't been feeling well. Perhaps you volunteer to teach Sunday School that Sunday. Whatever it is, list a few that you will commit to doing. They might seem small, but I assure you, they will be big in the eyes of the Lord.
Now, on the right-hand side, write three things:
- What God did this week : (list as many as you can think of!)
- Unexpected blessings : (list as many as you can think of!)
- Answered prayers : (list as many as you can think of!)
Buy some fun-colored pens or sharpen your favorite pencil. Start a new spread each Sunday. Once you've completed a few weeks' worth, you'll look back and see all that God has done—big and small. Then, at the end of 2015, you'll have countless blessings and testimonies to share (and some you can even send in to the Gospel News or Gospel Blog! Hint hint!).
I'd love to see your journal or notebook. Send us a picture, and we'll put together a collage of all the photos and share them in an upcoming post.
And just for starters, here's mine!
This article has undergone ministry review and approval.